When four o’clock hits, it’s coffee time. Kids coming home from school requires a small dose of fortification. Biscotti is my treat of choice any day, anytime.
- butter - 1/2 cup cold (can use margarine but please try it with butter!)
- sugar - 1 3/4 cups
- flour - 2 1/2 cups
- baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- eggs - 2
- milk or soy milk - 2 tbsp
- freeze dried coffee granules - 2 tbsp
- mini chocolate chips - 3/4 cup
- confectioners' sugar - 1 cup
- cocoa powder - 2 Tbsp
- coffee granules - 2 tsp, dissolved in 2
- boiling water - 1 tbsp
Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
Cream butter and sugar until combined. Lower mixer speed and add remaining ingredients slowly, in the order they appear, just until a dough forms. Turn off mixer.
Divide dough in half. Form 2 logs and place them on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 1/2 an hour. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes, then slice with a sharp knife into rectangular pieces, on a slight angle.
Lower oven temperature to 325F (170C). Place cookies on their side and bake for another 7 minutes, then turn them over and bake for another 5–7 minutes, until toasted through. Cookies will harden more as they cool.
Glaze: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Keep mixing every so often to prevent the mixture from hardening. Drizzle over biscotti.